Friday, November 22, 2013

FOUND PHOTOS: JFK TEMPORARY GRAVESITE

Today marks the 50th anniversary of one of the darkest days of the 20th century, the assassination of the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy. In my collection of found photos, I have two photo slides of JFK's temporary gravesite at Arlington National Cemetery. The photos were taken in early 1964, a few months after the assassination. I have no clue who snapped these photos, but I'm sure they would say that viewing the grave was a poignant reminder of that fateful day, November, 22, 1963. 



I noticed that the LBJ Library uploaded some silent raw film footage of the temporary gravesite to their YouTube page. Click here to view the video.

In 1967, a permanent gravesite was finished and open for public viewing.     


2005 photo of the eternal flame.


1964 commemorative postage stamp.


No comments: