Saturday, September 07, 2013

RETRO MONSTER CEREALS AT TARGET: THEY'RE HERE


At Target today, I bumped into some old pals in the Halloween aisle! Yep, I found the new retro Monster Cereals and man was it a glorious sight to behold. For a cereal enthusiast/box collector like me, I had to stand there and gawk at the display. It was like I was standing in front of the Mona Lisa in awe. Right there in Target, my childhood was on display!


Count Chocula probably visited my childhood breakfast table the most. Nice to see him again in his definitive form.


Franken Berry always had the best looking box and is my favorite of this retro bunch.


Boo Berry was always my favorite tasting Monster Cereal. Looking at this box, I can hear the Peter Lorre style voice.  


Frute Brute returns from extinction three decades later and has dropped the letter I from his name. 


Fruity Yummy Mummy showed up in the late 80s and disappeared in the early 90s. Glad he's returned to join his friends!


A Big G thanks to General Mills for reintroducing Frute Brute & Fruity Yummy Mummy and releasing retro boxes of the Monster Cereals.

Now I can't wait for breakfast!

---Update---
Click here for my taste test of the Monster Cereals!

8 comments:

Eartha Kitsch said...

Yay! Looks like you stocked up too! :)

Kal said...

Well at that price. You have to keep some pristine in the box.

Stephen said...

Man, I looked yesterday, and mine didn't have them yet. You are going to give us a follow-up taste test review, right?

Anonymous said...

Headed to Target!

--J/Metro

TNUC said...

Sweet. Gonna hit as many Targets as it takes to find these. What state are you in?

Todd Franklin said...

Eartha -You never know when there's going to be a Monster Cereal shortage!

Kal - They make great displays for the kitchen!

Stephen - Hopefully in the next few days I'll find some time to update this post with a taste review.

Jonny - Good luck!

TNUC - Missouri

Chris Ibsen said...

I've been looking for the retro boxes for the last two weeks here in Buffalo and none of the Targets even have Halloween items yet. No one at Target seems to know if they'll get them and I emailed corporate and they claimed they've already been discontinued. Great promotion Target, can't even get the boxes I grew up on because you supplied what 20 Target's nationwide with these? Where are you located?

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I love the starkness of these old boxes. Nothing distracts you from the thing that they're advertising.

If you like those horror breakfast, you may like this blog about original monsters cereal. My favorites are the Post-Moterm-mmms. http://idigcerealkillers.blogspot.com/

Dig the mid century retro aesthetics you've got here, I may have to stick around.