Monday, July 09, 2012

CELEBRATING 30 YEARS OF TRON WITH A BOX OF CEREAL


Thirty years ago today, Walt Disney's Tron premiered in movie theaters. To help celebrate, here's one of my favorite items from my Tron collection. It's the elusive Tron Mini Flying Disc Shreddies cereal box. This box was only available in Canada, making this a hard box to find for us USA kids. My good pal and fellow cereal box collector Jason Liebig, the CollectingCandy.com guy, surprised me with this box a couple of years ago. Here's Jason's hi-res scan from his flickr archive. (Click on the box for a closer look.)

Canada - Nabisco - Shreddies - Tron mini flying discs frisbees - cereal box - 1982

Jason also included the complete set of Mini Flying Discs and I've scanned these below.


Hopefully Tron will continue to play frisbee for another thirty years! Happy Birthday Tron!!

2 comments:

Lady Jaye said...

This is the cereal premium I remember best from my childhood, as I had the green Tron disc. These were crappy mini frisbees (as you may have noticed if you tried to fly them at all), but they looked pretty good. I'm actually surprised that I only had one, as Shreddies was then part of my usual cereal fare (along with Cheerios)...

Todd Franklin said...

Lady Jaye - I did try and fly one and it didn't go too far. Thanks the comment!